In today's story about Fernwood Avenue, I mention that there have been at least 24 homicides on the street since 1956.
DATABASE: Blade homicide database
There could be more, but records from the Toledo Police Department before 1956 aren't exactly the best. Some of the listed homicides are missing names (one is listed simply as 'Murder Mystery, Old West End), dates, and, most often, addresses.
Along with Toledo police records, I did some research in Blade archives to put together as much information as I possibly could about the 24 lives lost on Fernwood. There are still a few bits and pieces missing, so, by all means, if you happen to be a Fernwood historian or know details of one of these crimes, pass along the information. I'd love to make this list as complete and accurate as possible.
I'll start from the most recent:
24) Justin Smith, 25, shot to death in the 1000 block of Fernwood on Oct. 23, 2011. Police have issued a warrant for Martrece Dobson, 24, who they say shot Smith.
23) Racole "Cocoa" Hill, 42, shot to death in the 1100 block on Sept. 7, 2010. Hill was outside at a friend's party when she was hit by a stray bullet, which, police say, was meant for someone else. No suspects have been named in the death.
22) Linda Hicks, 62, shot by police in the 1300 block on Dec. 14, 2009. Police have said that Hicks, who was a resident at a group home, was holding a knife and charged at police.
21) Irving Turner, 29, shot in the 1100 block on Sept. 10, 1996. Turner was killed in a drive-by shooting, during which another man was shot. Willie Knighten was charged in the death but, in 2009, former Gov. Ted Strickland commuted his sentence.
20) Lawrence Henderson, 29, beaten and set on fire in a drug deal gone wrong in the 500 block on Nov. 27, 1995. Police charged Maurice Miller, 29, with the homicide.
19) Jonathan Turner, 18, stabbed with a knife during a domestic dispute in the 600 block on July 25, 1994. Police charged Marletta Johnson, 21, with the murder.
18) Steven Rogers, 6, died in an arson fire in 1600 block, Feb. 8, 1992. Police records state that the fire was set as revenge. Police charged Hollis Horton, 27, with the murder. Blade archives say that a firebomb was thrown at the house -- which belonged to Rogers' grandparents. The article I read on the boy's death is heartbreaking. He was a first grade student. When flames spread through the house, he was one of five to run out but then ran back inside because he thought his grandmother hadn't made it out.
17) Bobby Lamont White, 21, shot in an alley behind 600 block on Jan. 1, 1989.
16) Demetrias Adams, 20, shot in the 1000 blockon Oct. 10, 1989. Adams was shot in the heart outside Dailey's Dis N Dat Variety Store. Police charged Rodney Allen McCoy, 17, and Percy Williams, 16, with the crime.
15) Marvin Phillips, 37, stabbed in the 1600 block on June 19, 1987. Phillips was stabbed by his neighbor, Edward Horton, 53, during a fight.
14 ) Sylvester Barnes, 35, shot in the 500 block on Sept. 28, 1985. Barnes was shot in the chest by Felton Chatman, outside Chatman's home. In police records, the motive was listed as "anger/?drugs"
13) Joe Taylor, 19, shot in the 800 block on Aug. 28, 1984. Taylor was killed in a domestic dispute by Shirley Lino, 34.
12) Rudolph Jordan, 20, shot in the 1600 block on July 4, 1976. Jordan was shot and killed by Jeffrey Gibson, 16, when Jordan went to a nearby house to settle a dispute that a "young boy" said he was involved in.
11) Charita Lanier, 27, stabbed in the 1500 block on Jan. 30, 1975. Lanier was found inside a chest-like freezer with her throat slashed. If you get the chance, read this story via link. It's pretty disturbing. Charged was Rob Lonberger, 29.
10) Gary Collins, 32, shot in the 1400 block on Feb. 13, 1974. He was shot with a .22 revolver by Michael Williams.
09) Roy Coleman, 52, shot in the 1000 block on April 27, 1972. Coleman was the owner of Coleman's Market, a corner store on Fernwood. He was shot with a .22 revolver during a robbery by Davis Lewis Jr., 27.
08) Joyce Johnson, 33, in the 500 block on May 18, 1972. Johnson was killed by David Thompson.
07) Willie Coleman, age unknown, shot with a handgun in the 600 block on Oct. 14, 1971, by Henry Armstrong.
06) Charles Coleman, 24, shot with a rifle in the 1600 block on Dec. 25, 1971. Charged was Clarence Hues.
05) Elijah Dodson, 22, stabbed with a kitchen knife in the 700 block on March 7, 1970, by Brenda Smoot.
04) Marshall Warr, 24, shot in the head at Fernwood and Smead on Sept. 8, 1969. Charged is James Williams, 36.
03) Joe Strozier, 28, stabbed in the 1800 block on Jan. 1, 1965. Charged was Strozier's wife, Ophelia Strozier, 23.
02) Edward Allen, 21, in the 500 block on Dec. 1, 1964. Charged is Barbara Leath.
01) Presley Hurd, age unknown, in the 800 block, on Jan. 26, 1957. Charged is Sanders Harris.