On Monday the Tigers announced that they had signed 19 players to minor-league contracts for the 2013 season.
Here is a quick listing of the players, sorted by position ...
- Right-handed pitchers: Trevor Bell, Cesar Carrillo, Shane Dyer, Shawn Hill, Micah Kellogg, David Kopp, Victor Larez, Carlos Monasterios, Jesse Todd.
- Left-handed pitchers: Jose Alvarez, Ramon Garcia, Efrain Nieves.
- Catcher: Brad Davis.
- Infielders: Argenis Diaz, Lance Durham, John Lindsey.
- Outfielders: Marcus Lemon, Kevin Russo, Matt Tuiasosopo.
OK, a few quick thoughts about this group ...
- There obviously are some familiar names on this list. Among those who played for the Mud Hens last season are LHP Ramon Garcia, C Brad Davis, and IFs Argenis Diaz and John Lindsey.
- There are other players on the list with experience in the Tigers' system. Among the players who played in the organization last year are RHPs Cesar Carrillo (Double-A Erie and Hi-A Lakeland), David Kopp (Erie) and Victor Larez (Lakeland); LHP Efrain Nieves (Short Season Connecticut); IF Lance Durham (Lakeland and Lo-A West Michigan) and OF Marcus Lemon (Lakeland).
- There are some players with major-league service time on this list. The most notable is Shawn Hill, who made an appearance with Toronto last season. Others who have logged time in the big leagues are Davis, Diaz and Lindsey; OFs Kevin Russo and Matt Tuiasosopo and RHP Carlos Monasterios.
- There are a few famous names on the list. That list includes Durham, whose father is Mud Hens hitting coach Leon "Bull" Durham, and Lemon, whose father is former Tigers OF Chet Lemon.
I promise to post a few bios of players from this list -- at least for those players who have a chance to play in Toledo next season.