You would think I knew better than to take an in-season vacation ... but it's nice to get away from the grind, if only for a few days. I took more than a few days -- and the Mud Hens made more than a few changes.
Here is a look at the changes that have taken place, in no particular order ...
- RELEASED 1B RYAN STRIEBY: On Sunday, July 15 the Mud Hens released Strieby (after he hit a home run in a loss to Rochester). Strieby hit .195 with 13 home runs and 52 RBIs in 88 games for the Hens. While he ranked ninth in the International League in RBIs and tied for tenth in home runs, he also ranked third in strikeouts (108). After batting .255 in April, Strieby batted just .144 in May and .174 in June. Strieby, who turns 27 in August, last season led the Hens in home runs (19), RBIs (76) but led the IL in strikeouts (171). The Tigers took Strieby off the 40-man roster in December.
- SIGNED 1B DANNY DORN: On Tuesday, July 17, the Tigers signed Dorn as a free agent after he had been released by Louisville. In 69 games for the Bats, Dorn hit .230 with seven home runs and 24 RBIs. The left-handed hitting Dorn, who will turn 28 when the Hens return to Fifth Third Field on Friday, led Louisville in home runs (18) and RBIs (74) in 124 games last season. He also had 133 strikeouts last season.
- PLACED LHP ANDY OLIVER ON THE DL: Oliver was placed on the disabled list Friday, July 13 with "shoulder fatigue." One day earlier Oliver had started against Rochester and allowed four hits and five walks while striking out four in 5.2 innings that resulted in five earned runs -- and a loss. On the season Oliver is 4-9 with a 5.18 ERA in 18 starts, fanning 89 but walking 74 in 97.1 innings. Oliver leads the IL in walks.
- PLACED IF CALE IORG ON THE DL: The Hens placed Iorg on the disabled list after the game at Rochester July 15 with concussion-like symptoms. Iorg got the concussion by landing hard while chasing a foul ball. Iorg has played in 18 games for Toledo this season and has hit .161 with no homers and six RBIs.
- ACTIVATED ZACH MINER FROM THE DL: Miner went on the DL May 24 with a groin strain. He returned from the DL on July 14 and has pitched twice since his return. In those two games Miner has struggled, allowing four hits and three earned runs in 2.2 innings. Before that time, Miner had given up just five hits and four earned runs in 11.2 innings.
- PROMOTED OF JAMIE JOHNSON FROM DOUBLE-A ERIE: Johnson was called up from the SeaWolves on July 15 to take Iorg's spot on the roster. Johnson had hit .287 with one home run and 28 RBIs in 87 games with Erie this season after batting .275 with four homers and 51 RBIs there last year. Johnson stole 14 games for the SeaWolves and had 10 steals (and five caught stealing) this season.
- RHP LUIS MARTE WAS OPTIONED TO TOLEDO FROM DETROIT: The Tigers made that move Tuesday to open up a roster spot for RHP Jacob Turner. Marte was called up to Detroit July 13, so his most recent stint there was brief. This season with the Tigers Marte has a 3.63 ERA in 17.1 innings that include 14 strikeouts and seven walks. In 5.1 innings in Toledo, Marte has a 1.69 ERA, three strikeouts and a pair of walks.
- RHP JOSE ORTEGA WAS OPTIONED TO TOLEDO, IF DANNY WORTH CALLED UP: The Tigers optioned Ortega to Toledo on Sunday, July 8 and called up Worth the same day. Ortega has a 3.38 ERA with the Tigers and a 4.14 ERA with the Mud Hens. Worth hit .190 with no homers and two RBIs with Detroit and .295 with four homers and eight RBIs with the Hens.
So here is the current Mud Hens roster, divided by position ...
PITCHERS (13): Collin Balester, Chris Bootcheck, Brooks Brown, Casey Crosby, Ramon Garcia, Matt Hoffman, Zach Miner, Jose Ortega, Luke Putkonen, Luis Marte, Rob Waite, Thad Weber, Adam Wilk.
CATCHERS (2): Rob Brantly, Bryan Holaday.
INFIELDERS (5): Audy Ciriaco, Argenis Diaz, Danny Dorn, John Lindsey, Bryan Pounds.
OUTFIELDERS (5): Ben Guez, Jerad Head, Justin Henry, Jamie Johnson, Matt Young.
UPDATE: Just checked with the Tigers regarding LHP Fu-Te Ni, who was placed on the disabled list by the Mud Hens May 20 with a strained UCL. Ni had surgery on the elbow and is officially lost for the season.