The Lake Erie Center, located on Bayshore Road at Maumee Bay State Park, is a UT research and educational facility whose work is focused on the environmental health of the lake. The center offers a variety of timely programs this fall:
- Naturalist Night with Jackie Riley. Topic: Butterflies of NW Ohio. Talk will be followed by an outdoor field session. Fun for all ages. Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 6:30 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.
- Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. Patrick Kocovsky, USGS Lake Erie Biological Station, "Are Lake Erie habitats suitable for Asian carp?" Thursday, September 13, 2012, 7:00 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.
- Coastweeks Event: Bayshore Cleanup. Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 10 am - noon. Meet in the LEC lobby. We will be picking up trash along Bayshore Road and Lake Erie. Pizza lunch will be provided following the cleanup. Coastweeks, a celebration of our waters and shores, is sponsored in part by the Ohio Lake Erie Commission.
- Nature of Maumee Bay Photo Contest entries due: Friday, October 5, 2012. All ages and skill levels welcome.
- Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. Ronald Oldfield, Case Western Reserve University, "Back from the brink: Understanding how environment affects behavior, aids recovery of Ohio brook trout". Thursday, October 11, 2012, 7:00 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.
- Sustainable U Conference, Thursday, November 1, 2012, 9 am - 3 pm, at the University of Toledo Student Union, rooms 2591 and 2592.
- Lake Erie Center Public Lecture: Dr. John Lekki, NASA Glenn Research Center, "Airborne monitoring of Harmful Algal Blooms from 20,000 feet". Thursday, November 15, 2012, 7:00 pm. Lake Erie Center, room 155.